Where have all the Riders gone?

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Re: Where have all the Riders gone?

Post by Tetge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 am

Ironic that the Velocette sub-forum has the most action of any on this board. But, Brit bikes are not alone in hardware shaking off, as KTM's are notorious for losing bolts and taillight assemblies and, KTM specifies thread locker on numerous bolts. But, even with proper torquing, those in the no go over their fasteners on a regular basis.

Must be that old world charm, I guess, as nothing shakes off of a properly assembled Suzuki!

Thruxton71
Noob

Post by Thruxton71 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Today was a better day. Pushed my 1952 MAC (350cc Velocette rigid) to the top of the starting hill next to our house, and after several spin ups, it shuddered into life. Glad I didn't try to kick start it! Rode around the corner and through the Von's parking lot to the Gas Station, where a single Miata awaited. Then a modern Triumph pulled in, then a late 60's BSA A65, then a Honda Hawk, then a BMW.. I think it is an R1150RT ridden by the 'new' guy (he is 82). So, two proper Brit bikes and the usual assortment.

The fog was thick, and we decided to climb out of it, up Highway 33 and into the sun. Some would continue to 'The Place' in ventucopa, some would return to Ojai for breakfast. I am still recovering from my knee operation, and I wasn't sure how it would go, so I decided to return to Ojai.

Out of the parking lot and down the street, where the MAC decided to stall. Out of habit I had turned off the gas. Easy fix, and we were off up the hill.

The 'new' guy rides very slowly and carefully. Does age bring wisdom? Even Hawk was reserved (80 years old, but very competitive) as I didn't see headlights in my shaking mirror after a few miles climb. There is a single light now in a section of the climb, which allows for regrouping, but it changed to green shortly after I pulled up to it.

The MAC was running well, with a small miss-fire as I gained altitude. A recent complete rebuild has given the engine back some power, as it pulls in fourth what used to require a downshift. And it crackles from it's fishtail, like a proper Velo.

We passed Lynn's leap (named after a deceased riding buddy who missed the corner at the first summit on 33 and almost leaped into the canyon, but survived after filling his helmet with dirt) and proceeded to a turnout on the sespe creek side of the summit. The hillsides were full of blossoming wild flowers, and the road was lined with what we call spanish broom, an invasive non-native plant with a bright yellow flower. Looking up the hillside you can trace the path of the road outlined in yellow. Pretty stuff.

The Miata and the Triumph continued to The Place, we turned back towards Ojai. My favorite.. the descent on my small Velo. I took it easy, and was lucky with the light.. it was green so I didn't have to lift for anything but the disturbed road surface in the detour. Further down the fingers of fog were drifting in and out of the trees, giving the scenery a surreal look, until we were completely absorbed and became part of it. Good for Brit bikes.

I waited in a pull out, the Hawk close behind me, the BSA and the BMW arrived some minutes later. I waved them by and followed the BMW. Clean lines, just very cautious. Clearly doesn't have a corner carver mentality. The Hawk, true to form, did a fly by on the BMW.

Breakfast at Lake Casitas, a very crowed place. Free access if you are going to the cafe.

Life is good with the MAC.

We started with 6, ended with 4, and two brit bikes.. improvement.

jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Post by jhwalker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Good write-up. A fun ride...
An 82 year old newbie? Caution is good. :whistle:

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Must be nice to have Hwy 33 right outside your garage door. And, people to ride with. I almost rode today, as I put air in both of my KTM's tires this morning, but, that took too much out of me, so I was unable to suit up and ride. But, I did start the bike up, and, to my surprise, after sitting for months, and never being on a battery charger, it started right up. So, in the next few days, I shall take a ride and run some fuel through it and let the battery charge fully and, the maybe the flat spotted tires will round back out, although the massive chicken strips will remain.

In truth, since I ride solo, and usually have no particular destination in mind, avoiding the popular riding days makes sense, as there are too many hotshots and cops around on the good roads during peak usage. Midday Tues-Thurs, the roads are practically empty, not that this matters these days, as I ride very slowly. But, at least with deserted roads I am not continuously being over taken or holding up traffic.....The last time I rode out to Nine Mile, and went to the top and then back down, I was passed many times in both directions. Seems that this stretch is really fast, as in go to jail speeds. And, I run far over to the right on the ACH, to allow space for the continual steams of pack lines of sports bikes that overtake me.

In fact, California, should issue special, slow elderly driver/rider, license plates, like the yellow triangle slow vehicle plates on farm equipment and horse drawn buggies. Perhaps then people might show some tolerance for the cautious old drivers? Don't they know that we are all mostly blind and that our reflexes are shot?

Thruxton71
Noob

Post by Thruxton71 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Funny about the 82 year old.. there are 3, almost 4, riders at or over 80 in our group. The 'newbe' moved to Ojai recently and lives in his daughter's garage after a long career owning and running a HVAC company in SoCal. He has a sail boat in Ventura Harbor, a Mercedes sedan with 350,000 miles, and his BMW.. and who knows what else. Four kids, six grandkids.. and very personable. He was wearing tennis shoes on our ride. Not that I am a shining example of protective clothing.. blue jeans don't do much for pavement rash.. and I should know.. I'll give him 'cautious'. As long as he doesn't hold me up with superior horsepower.

jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Post by jhwalker » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:58 pm

8-)

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 pm

I got up early today and made my coffee and did all my daily watering in my yard so that I could take a spin on my KTM. However, I almost did not go, as even in my air conditioned house, I started to overheat when I was putting on all my riding gear. But, I went anyway, even though when I left about 9:30 am, it was already hot outside, and getting hotter by the second. As it ended up, I only rode some of the long straight roads, with no stops, that are near my house, and then turned back toward home, after not many miles, as I became genuinely concerned that I was going to have a heat stroke while riding, and that did not seem a good idea.

But, it still was fun, as the KTM has a lot of character, and, although slow by fast sports bike and general motorcycle standards, it rushes to 100 mph with authority, or so I have been told, as who would actually ride that fast? It is light and nimble and has a good seating position, and, it sounds great, as befits a 690cc single with a lot of cam timing and compression and a 8000 RPM rev limiter. But, I now know that I need to ride very early in the day, and that my riding gear is too hot for the desert, so I need to go to the cycle parts store and look at a lighter summer jacket or ride in a t-shirt. Because, and this is partly age related, it gets too hot for comfort out in the open on a hot day riding a motorcycle, for me.

To its credit the KTM started right up after sitting unused for a long time, and, it pulled to the rev limiter without a miss or hiccup, so, that was good. Not that I would go to 8000 RPM as a rule, but, for testing purposes I made an exception. I'd almost forgotten how intense it is to ride a motorcycle compared to a giant wallowing cage such as my Mustang as cages do their best to insulate the driver and passengers from the road and weather. But, a naked old school motorcycle puts the riders right out in the wind with a clear view of the road whizzing by, and, of the surroundings. good motorcycle still remains an E ticket ride, for those old enough to remember the E ticket. And, I never even made it to the twisties where a KTM Duke works very well, due to the heat. But, it was still fun even in a straight line. as there is something special about a big single pulling hard to the ton in top gear, as you can feel that the engine is really working, while faster machines are so effortless that they becomes boring. Also, the KTM is quite a contrast to my Mustang, which is faster than the KTM in a straight line, but very boring and soulless. The Mustang does have a/c, however, and, that is almost a necessity when temps get high outside.

Now, fairly soon, I need to get up really early and take the bike out to the local mountains, and run the old fuel out of it, and then fill it up with fresh fuel, and it will be "ready to race" again. But, I rode some today, and, I still was able to operate a motorcycle, and the KTM felt good, so, it is all good.

SonicVenum
Second Gear

Post by SonicVenum » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 am

These are some inspirational reads! :clap:

xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Post by xbacksideslider » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:17 pm

We rode Sunday. Big Tujunga to Angeles Forest to Upper Big Tujunga (9 Mile) to Angeles Crest. Turned around and did the reverse and back home for Fathers Day bbq. Three of us all >65. I rode the CBR, Kelly on 1200 Bonneville, Ron on 650 Hawk V twin

Pic of new exhaust uncorking T140. Went to Burak’s for jets to go with less restrictive mufflers. Going from 190s to 230s
Attachments
C0185233-37A2-441A-B2A2-2A28EF76BE54.jpeg
New Emgo 19” peashooter

jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Post by jhwalker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:18 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you given a 790 a test ride? 'near vibration-free' is what I think I read...

good to see you riding...

Return to “Velocette”