Where have all the Riders gone?

Thruxton71
Noob

Where have all the Riders gone?

Post by Thruxton71 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 am

Last Sunday I drove my pickup to the usual spot where we meet for our ride. I was recovering from arthroscopic surgery on my kicking knee three days hence. It was a cloudy cool morning, a perfect riding day. There was a single motorcycle, an immaculate GB 500 Honda, but otherwise everyone was caged. Miata, Nissan truck (me), Ford Focus (buddy who just had a replacement knee operation two weeks ago), Toyota truck (buddy with a cane, just had a hip replacement), and a hybrid Toyota with two more motorcycle owners. It was one of the largest turnouts I can remember, and one single motorcycle. Injury, disabilities, and lack of enthusiasm has devastated our once hardy group. I am hoping to be able to ride my 1952 Velocette again, along with the rest of my motley fleet. More to come.

xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Re: Where have all the Riders gone?

Post by xbacksideslider » Sat May 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Yep, the mc hobby is in decline. Less open land for kids to learn on and less for adults too. As for street, roads are clogged with cages. The manufacturers rarely offer loss leaders to create new markets, they all go after high end in each category.

I wish the bigs would offer competing loss leader 100cc singles, touting high MPG, near zero emissions, economy, and low prices. Get em into the showroom, make motorcyclists for life. That’s what they did back when, although the strong dollar and weak yen made em affordable on a whim

jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Post by jhwalker » Sun May 26, 2019 1:10 pm

Damn it, just typed a long response and 'lost' it. Nothing important.. I'll get the energy up again soon. The oldies here in San Miguel still ride. We get 15-20 bikes to our weekly BS session and usually an 'out and back' to somewhere within a day's ride, at the least, every 2 weeks. But, all geezers. No young bucks... :whistle:

jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Post by jhwalker » Sun May 26, 2019 1:11 pm

and I'm not riding yet. The stroke effects may be getting worse... no Bueno. :think:

Thruxton71
Noob

Post by Thruxton71 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:47 pm

I found some of the riders... this last Sunday out to Frazier Park... But it started with our Sunday morning meetup at the local Gas Station.. I drove my pick up, as I am recovering from a recent Knee surgery, and found five other cages (two Miatas, one Baja Bug, one VW station wagon and a Toyota Truck) and a single A65 BSA. I left them to their cagey devices and headed over 33 to see if I could intercept the BSA ride. First I dropped by my friend's property on Lockwood Canyon road, after driving around the 'Road Closed' signs and navigating 2 to 4 inches of mud in one fair weather crossing. As I drove up his very long dirt driveway I realized I had just missed him, as there were a single set of K70 tracks heading out. After returning to the road, I pushed my mighty Nissan to Frazier park, noting all the silt and mud in every fair weather crossing on the usually dangerous road, making it even more interesting. I arrived in time to attempt to warn the organizer, but they stuck to their route, up Lockwood to 33, then lunch, then back to 166 and over to Pine Mountain Club, returning to Frazier park. Yikes. A certain member of this discussion board, back slider, expressed his dislike for the route up Lockwood, preferring to run up and back to lunch through Pine Mountain Club. That is, admittedly, a classic bit of tarmac, but what would Frank say? Frank lives for roads like Lockwood, bumpy, covered with trash and dirt and mud, with possible farm animals. (Frank wasn't there, but we all know what kind of roads he enjoys).. (well, at least BackSlider knows this).
So, it was back down Lockwood, trailing the final bike, in case of breakdowns. Then lunch with my buddy (Lockwood Canyon property owner on a 68 Triumph Thunderbird) at 'The Place' (skipping the meal at Harrington Ranch, not my favorite), and back to Ojai. It was then that the beauty of my vehicle selection was revealed, as a cell of thunder and rain rolled in, pelting my truck and bouncing off the pavement. It would have been very wet. I caught up with two of the riders on the ride, I think, as I recognized an anomaly for the BSA ride, a Ducati Scrambler with what I assume to be a young woman riding (very slight build, pony tail escaping helmet). I was going to overtake and pass when the Ducati took off and the other pulled over. I ended up following the Ducati all the way to Ojai and was very impressed with their lines and style, especially in a heavy downpour which, by the Deer Lodge, was reduced to a heavy mist. I figured it was either complete ignorance of the risk of rain on pavement, or great confidence in the tires and suspension. Never the less, it was fun to watch. And, given it was raining most of the time, more fun that actually being on a bike.

jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Post by jhwalker » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:39 pm

:clap: terrifying :whistle:

Thruxton71
Noob

Post by Thruxton71 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:47 pm

I got a nice note from the ride organizer, thanking me for the heads up on the route condition, and identifying the Ducati and modern Triumph riders. They rode in from Marina Del Ray, and were id'd as fast riders, the Ducati the faster of the two. Which I saw. Riding in the rain isn't so bad, if you are smooth and are gentle on the loud button..But, as I said, I would rather be in a cage..

xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Post by xbacksideslider » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 am

Yes Craig and Laura are capable riders an both were on new bikes

No rain on Cerro or through Pine Mtn but did see 4 or 5 tops as we rolled into Frazier park.

My new/old Triumph lost 5 engine/frame bolts during the loop.

Now your dear sibling can tell us how great Suzuki two stroke twins are

Thruxton71
Noob

Post by Thruxton71 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Talked to Frank, he told me about the engine bolts.. Sounds like they weren't put in tight enough, eh? That is what we call a shake down cruise! Glad you missed the rain. Did you see the video someone posted?

https://youtu.be/PQa91k07dRM

Kind of fun.

xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Post by xbacksideslider » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks for the link. Yeah nuts falling off is nuts 🥜

I thought stainless hardware was a bonus. Nope. Brits went with fine TPI for a reason and often stainless is coarser and requires threadlocker

Return to “Velocette”